Nominations for the ISIF Asia 2018 Internet for Development Awards will be open from 25 February to 30 April. Each winner will receive a USD 3,500 cash prize plus a travel grant to attend the Internet Governance Forum 2018 where the awards ceremony will take place. The Award seeks to recognize the positive contributions of Internet-based innovations to development on 2 categories:
I4D Award for Community Networks
The Internet for Development Award for Community Networks will be awarded to projects/organizations working to achieve affordable, locally owned and managed communication infrastructure, deploying creative low-cost solutions that use wireless technologies, GSM and/or fibre connections. Interested applicants can submit nominations that are focused on one or more of the following areas:
- Technical innovation around devices and network management;
- Creative organizational/partnership arrangement(s) and incentives for established ISPs and mobile operators to support local access networks and expand connectivity to underserved areas;
- Innovative business models that support social and economic development, inclusion and diversity;
- Enabling regulatory frameworks that support access provision under a locally owned and managed infrastructure.
I4D Award for Gender Empowerment & Innovation
The Internet for Development Award for Gender Empowerment & Innovation will be awarded to projects/organizations working to achieve gender equality and foster women’s leadership in the Internet industry. Interested applicants can submit nominations focused on one or more of the following areas:
- Building advanced digital skills among women and girls (coding, network management and security, IPv6, big data, sensors, IoT, devices, machine learning, cloud computing);
- Supporting women to get involved in network infrastructure deployment to expand Internet access and adoption;
- Encouraging the participation of women in digital markets to support women’s economic empowerment as well as capacity building initiatives that support employment paths in the Internet industry;
- Promoting the safe use of the Internet for women and girls, and defending women’s right online.
For both categories under the I4D Awards, nominated projects/organizations must:
- Operating for a minimum of 1 year, with a clear development focus.
- Provide outcomes based evidence to support impact achieved.
- Have clear community benefit.
- Address gender diversity and inclusion.
- Provide details about what is innovative about their approach
- Provide enough technical information to assess the technical solution implemented.
ISIF Asia founding award winners at the awards ceremony Internet Governance Forum in Nairobi, Kenya. 2011.
Left to right: Ou Virak (Cambodia), Meenakshi Guatham (India), Lemi Soarez (Timor Leste) and Emani Fakaotimanava-Lui (Niue).
Key dates for 2018
|Applications open||25 February|
|Applications close||30 April at 11.59 PM UTC|