The 2018 Internet for Development Grants for Gender Empowerment & Innovation was allocated to projects/organizations working to achieve gender equality on the Internet. USD 53,000 was available, as follows:
- USD 30,000 scale-up grant for one existing project looking to expand,
- USD 23,000 small grant for one new project.
The terms of the call for proposals were as follows:
Innovation and a development focus must be an integral part of the project proposal. Proposals must include an implementation component, a realistic timeframe and a detailed budget breakdown.
Proposals must be focused on one or more of the following areas:
- Building advanced digital skills among women and girls (coding, network management and security, IPv6, big data, sensors, IoT, devices, machine learning, cloud computing);
- Supporting women to get involved in network infrastructure deployment to expand Internet access and adoption;
- Encouraging the participation of women in digital markets to support women’s economic empowerment as well as capacity building initiatives that support employment paths in the Internet industry;
- Promoting the safe use of the Internet for women and girls
- Defending women and girls rights online.