The Internet for Development Grants for Community Networks will be allocated to projects/organizations working to achieve affordable, locally owned and managed communication infrastructure, deploying creative low-cost solutions that use wireless technologies, GSM and/or fibre connections. USD 53,000 is available, as follows:
- USD 30,000 scale-up grants for one existing project looking to expand,
- USD 23,000 small grant for one new project.
Innovation and a development focus must be an integral part of the project proposal. Proposals must also include an implementation component, a realistic timeframe and a detailed budget breakdown.
Proposals must be focused on one or more of the following areas:
- Technical innovation around devices and network management;
- Creative organizational/partnership arrangement(s) and incentives for established ISPs and mobile operators to support local access networks and expand connectivity to underserved areas;
- Innovative business models that support social and economic development, inclusion and diversity;
- Enabling regulatory frameworks that support access provision under a locally owned and managed infrastructure.
Key dates for 2018
|Applications open||25 February|
|Applications close||30 April|
|Due diligence review and contracts||July|
|Announcement of successful application/s||August|
Before submitting your nomination, please review the Selection Criteria.